Molecular Analyzer for Efficient Gas-phase Low-power INterrogation (MAEGLIN) Phase 2
In Phase 1 (IARPA-BAA-16-01), the program was structured as three separate component level thrust areas:
- Collection – Low-power, reversible gas phase collection and preconcentration.
- Separation – Non-destructive fractionation of chemical mixtures with high dynamic range, including the ability to “bleed off” all or part of selected fractions if desired. Low power and minimal (preferably no) consumables.
- Identification – High-accuracy identification of pure compounds or low-count mixtures with a large and adaptable library. Low power and minimal (preferably no) consumables.
In Phase 2, MAEGLIN will focus on integrated prototype demonstration. The goals for Phase 2 include:
- Integrated prototype device with ultra-low-power consumption.
- High selectivity and sensitivity across a broad range of chemicals.
- Effective operation in a real world environment over long time periods.
- Small form factor, including power source.
MAEGLIN Phase 2 is a fully open solicitation, and prior involvement with MAEGLIN Phase 1 is not required. Collaborative efforts and teaming among potential performers will be encouraged. It is anticipated that teams will be multidisciplinary and may include expertise in: pre-concentrators and sorbents; aerosol concentration and separation; chromatography; spectrometry; ionization techniques; Micro-Electrical-Mechanical Systems (MEMS) device design and fabrication; microfluidics and computational fluid dynamics; spectral library development; chemical detection and clutter filter algorithms; miniature vacuum pump technology; low power electronics; and battery and fuel cell technology.
IARPA anticipates that academic institutions and companies from around the world will participate in this program. Researchers will be encouraged to publish their findings in academic journals.
Contracting Office Address
Office of the Director of National Intelligence
Intelligence Advanced Research Projects Activity
Washington, DC 20511
Primary Point of Contact
Solicitation Status: OPEN
Proposers' Day Date: March 22, 2018
BAA Release Date: July 10, 2018
BAA Question Period: July 10, 2018 - August 10, 2018
Proposal Due Date: September 10, 2018